Kusadasi, Turkey, April 26, 2006

Today started off like a Three Stooges movie. Room service came 20 mins. early at about the same time that the alarm went off (which Katie swears she didn't set). Katie started to get ready for her tour in Kusadasi. While she was in the bathroom, the phone rings w/ an automated wake up call (which she ordered yesterday, but not today). A few mins. later the front desk calls w/ a wake up call (which we found out later comes as a precursor to the arrival of your room service breakfast). Then the damn alarm clock goes off again. Why these things were happening, I don't know; but I was still trying to sleep.

Katie's was a full day tour, traveling through small farming villages & beautiful countryside on her way to visit the ancient cities of Priene, Miletus & Didyma. The Germans (believe it or not) are currently undertaking the excavations there. She was appalled at how poorly the (Asian) Turks are preserving these treasures.

You are allowed to walk all over & touch everything. She even saw some (she thinks) young Turkish kids writing graffiti on a monument. While Katie was on tour, I slept a little later; & had buffet breakfast. My mission today was to go into town & find bottled water & a few souvenirs for friends. I wasn't off the ship more than a ½ hr.

I put on my bathing suit in order to take advantage of this gorgeous (blue, blue sky) sunny, 72 degree day. The Minerva II (Swan-Hellenic cruises) was docked next to us. I was glad to see the ship looking beautifully maintained since I had considered her in the past for some of their exotic European itineraries. Had a little soup (yummy cream of cauliflower) & salad (even more yummy w/ their fabulous blue cheese dressing) for lunch. Back to the pool area; this time in a shaded area in one of the double sunbeds. I drifted off a time or two. About 4:30,

I went to the library to use the computer for the travel diary. Since Katie had an 8:45 pm appt. for a facial, we ate early - al fresco at the buffet (which at night turns into "Tapas on the Terrace"). We both had very good baked mussels w/ spinach & cheese, mixed salad, grilled gingered prawns skewered w/ lemon grass. She had ham & veggies w/ cream of potato soup (every cream soup just gets better than the one before). I had 2 delicious eggplant appetizers -slices of eggplant wrapped around baby shrimp, grilled & served cold & the other warm grilled eggplant wrapped around spinach & cheese. I had a few pieces of sushi & a delicious pasta dish of my own creation. They had linguine w/ both alfredo & marinara sauces which were fixed to order. I had the guy sautee lots of onion, garlic, some chopped sun dried tomatoes, chives & crushed red pepper. He added a little red sauce; & the rest alfredo & tossed in the pasta. It was divine (if I do say so myself). A little orange sorbet to finish. While Katie was at the spa, I played online (finally getting around to reading the newspaper & posting trip news on the message boards). Back in the cabin, we hooked the camera up to the TV to check the photos she had taken today. We're so done......


No comments: